Sunday, January 9, 2011

"Meathead Taco Salad"

The first of many recipes I am going to share.   I am so excited to finally have a minute to type this up.
From one of our favorite books to browse and cook from... 

Men'sHealth: Total Fitness Guide 2008 Muscle Chow by Gregg Avedon

Meathead Taco Salad
"Quick and easy, nutritious and refreshing-make it once and you'll be addicted to this salad."

Ingredients:

1/2   pound extra-lean ground beef
2      teaspoons chili powder
3      drops of hot-pepper sauce
1        pinch of ground black pepper
2      cups shredded iceberg lettuce
1      tomato, finely chopped
2      tablespoons shredded low-fat cheddar cheese

How To Make It:

Step 1  Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray.  Wipe away any excess with a paper towel.  heat the skillet to medium.


Step 2  Add the ground beef and break it apart with a wooden spoon as it's heating up.  Add the chili powder, hot-pepper sauce, and black pepper.  Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until no longer pink.  Drain and set aside.


Step 3 In a large single-serving bowl, layer the lettuce, beef mixture, tomato and cheese.


(Makes 1 serving)

This is really tasty - but here is how I made it my own:

I replaced the ground beef with ground turkey.  I cut up avocado, some red and yellow peppers, completely omitted the cheese.  Also, I am not a fan of iceberg lettuce.  That said I switched that out for some darker green leafs and some purple too!  For the kids I let them crush up some blue tortilla chips for some added crunch.

5 comments:

  1. That does sound good. LMAO at Meathead though!

    Hopping in..following you now.

    Come on by when you get a chance.
    http://closertolucy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, - Daddydeadlift needs his "Meathead" taco salad. :) It is actually really YUMMY! Great having you as a follower - hope to inspire you with some healthy recipes. :)

    Already following your blog as well. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following from the blog hop. Hope you can follow back.
    God Bless,
    Shelley
    < a href="http://www.mylifeadventurebyme.blogspot.com//">Finding My Life in Faith< /a>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds SO yummy! Thanks for posting this recipe! I'm going to try it out!

    Following you from the Relax and Surf! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI there! I am your newest follower from the blog hop! Lovely blog:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com
    Take a peek at my giveaways when you stop by. EVerything is handmade and gorgeous
    YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete