Monday, January 3, 2011

About Daddy Deadlifts

Well, this is my first blog EVER. Not sure what the procedure is on these things, so I figure a good place to start with my first post is to give an idea of what I want this blog to be (my part at least!) as well as a little background on me.

I'm not a Certified health professional in the least, what I hope to do here, is post knowledge that I have gained through my experiences trying to be active and healthy. Workouts that have been successful, as well as ones that weren't what I hoped they would be. Motivational tools that keep me mentally where I need to be after the gym has broken me down. And to have people post their experiences and knowledge as well. My ultimate goal with this blog is for my wife and myself to be able to take what we have learned through trial and error, advice from others and some great reading articles from many health and fitness magazines, and put it in one place for anyone who is interested to be able to take, and apply to there life, hopefully leading to a healthier and more fulfilling lifestyle.

I've been weight training for a steady 3 years or so now, but I've always been fairly active. I served in the Marine Corps for 5 years active, and there was a certain level of fitness that was required. I always had admiration for muscles, I don't know why, but even as a kid (and my mother would tell you) my favorite actors were Arnold and Stallone (not what I would call HOF actors by any means). But it wasn't until I got out of the Marine Corps, that I REALLY got active with physical fitness. I had really let myself go (ballooning from a somewhat lean 150, to an extremely flabby 165) and that's when I decided I needed a change. It wasn't a good example for the kids, and I don't imagine it was very pleasant for my wife to look at! I started researching different methods of working out (things I will get into later down the road, such as HIT vs Split Routines, etc) and eventually joined a gym. I found out that supplements are expensive and learned what was necessary and what wasn't, I learned to really pay attention to Nutritional Labels at the grocery store, and how everything in the food is used by your body (good and bad). It was like learning a new language. It was a lot of fun, and I was feeling great. Then I decided to take a trip out to Las Vegas this past September to check out the Fitness Expo /  Mr. Olympia bodybuilding competition. All I can say is wow. The athletes that I met, the regular folks like myself that I met.. people who really took health and fitness to a new level, really kicked my motivation into a new gear, and I don't think there is any going back.

That's probably longer than a typical post should be, but hey, what the heck. You know a little about me and what my goal is for this blog. I'm looking forward to sharing some of my insight/ lessons learned on this page shortly, and into the future. Stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment